Nothing can make me gaze at my wool coat in longing like the first day at the beach. There are very few places to hide in a yard of nylon. Earlier this month, I dug my toes into the sand for the first time this summer, and I swear I would rather be taste tested by a shark than rip off that coverup for the first time. (Maybe that’s a little extreme.) But, seriously. You can feel like a hottie on the beach and this is coming from someone who did not always feel that way. A lot of it is how you treat yourself and your beach experience. Here are my top five ways to own the beach.
1. Flattery will get you confidence. The biggest part of beach confidence is – tada! – the swimsuit. Buy a swimsuit that flatters your figure and that makes you feel good. Generally that means trying on an awful lot of them. I have the cutest swimsuit of my life this season, but I’ve tried on a ton in the process to find it. But you’ll feel the worth when that blazing heat hits your skin! Bring your bestie to give you a
more objective less critical opinion on how you look.
P.S. If you’re not sure what types of swimsuits will flatter you the most, check out magazines like InStyle and Fitness for spreads on how to flatter your figure. I always check those out and it helps me zero in on what will look best on my body type.
2. Take in the big picture. Sure, you may see a handful of celeb-worthy bodies on the beach (at least where I go). But just as beaches vary around the globe (or even in the same state!) so do those of us staking out real estate on those beaches. We’re not all nipped, tucked, and airbrushed! And that’s okay. Embrace what you love about yourself and flaunt it!
3. Cover your eyes. Nothing spells cool and confident like the right pair of sunglasses. You don’t have to spend a fortune to keep this staple accessory up-to-date either. Besides checking the mirror, ask a friend which trends look best on you. In my part of the world, Target and Kohl’s have great looks and prices.
4. Become a beach design star. There is a simple joy in coordinating beach accoutrements. After cursing mine year after year, I finally got proactive and bought beach items that go together. I started with a blue canvas tote I love from a trip to the Cape and added a solid blue chair so my patterned swimsuits would go. I favor shorts and T’s as cover ups so I just buy ones that go with my current swimsuit. Just throw on a pair of flip-flops (I love Roxy) and away you go. You’d be surprised how a coordinating ensemble can boost confidence!
5. Powder your nose. I know it’s the beach and all, but there’s no harm in dabbing on some makeup if it increases your confidence. For me, a touch of concealer and a swish of a light, sheer powder (or a bronzer) boosts my BBC (Beach Body Confidence) level. Neutrogena and Physician’s Formula offer all natural, sheer powders and you can grab them at almost any store with a cosmetics department.
So whether you’re crashed out on a blanket reading, strutting down the coastline to get some exercise, or bobbing with the surf, you can in fact feel cozy in your own skin – and show it off with confidence!
On another topic completely unrelated to bikinis, the final days of the Smashwords summer/winter sale are upon us. Until the end of July, you can download my newest mystery novella Biohazard and The Jester’s Apprentice for free! And Dead Locked is 50% off!