There’s nothing like chillin’ out with your girls (or girl). Whenever my bro-in-law goes hiking, my sister and I get together and do our own fun thing. Last weekend was the perfect example. You don’t need to do anything fancy. It’s meant to be relaxing!
1. Fun meals. As take-out alternatives, we made kung pao chicken one night, then bought pre-made beef empanadas from a local bakery and topped it off with refried beans and Spanish rice. For breakfast (because you must do a fun b-fast), we made stuffed French toast with my favorite coconut pineapple filling. To amp up the egg batter, I added a generous dash of coconut extract and encrusted the bread in shredded coconut. Food. Gasm.
2. Sugary nom-noms. This time we popped in to the nearby bakery and got cupcakes. But last month when we did this, I made this incredible chocolate cake. You won’t believe the secret ingredient – my sister made a face the whole time I was making it – but we were both blown away by how moist and rich it turned out. And if you’re like me and a little cake-shy, it’s not a complicated recipe at all. (Bonus: it’s gluten-free!)
3. Alaska-free TV. Please don’t be like us and waste an hour choosing a movie to watch. Toward the end of the weekend, we ended up doing a romantic period movie marathon (North & South and The Way We Live Now) with plans to jump into He Knew He Was Right and Bleak House the next time we’re man-free.
4. Window shopping. I don’t think we could complete one of these weekends without some kind of frivolous shopping trip. I haven’t been in a spending mood, so I totally blame my sister for the fact that I came out of the store with three shopping bags full of things I probably didn’t need to buy.
5. In-home facials. There are a lot of beauty regimens I don’t particularly like, but I love facials, and that includes in-home spa treatments. We used these fantastic organic peel pads from emerginC. (These pads do wonders to prevent breakouts.) I’m also testing out some new products by La Roche-Posay (the thermal spring water and dermo-cleanser). So far, so good!
So pick a spot to hang out, make fun food (or get it already made), and curl up with something epic (or funny) while you show your skin some lovin’ for the perfect relaxing weekend.